Libertarianism Is Idiotic Poison

1 post / 0 new

Libertarianism Is Idiotic Poison

The dumbest thing that otherwise smart people glorify is the free market. It’s the central ideology of libertarians, the party of people who pride themselves on sounding much smarter than they actually are. That alone should make you question free market rhetoric. Most libertarians fail to understand how things are connected. For example, less money in taxes. Yes, you will be paying less in the short run, but in the long run due to everyone else being poor as fuck thanks to rampant austerity, there’s no more money available for average people to spend on your business to increase your wealth. Now maybe, your particular business will be unaffected because the things you sell might tend to have very low prices (e.g. nobody’s going to stop buying toilet paper) but for the rest of society, they are fucked. A liberal-controlled (meaning slightly mitigated) banking dystopia is slightly less shitty for society than an unregulated far-right banking dystopia. To be fair, the right-wing dystopia will be much better for a few select rich people.

Libertarians like to talk about the US before 1913, Hong Kong before the 1990s, etc and how these tiny countries becoming economic powerhouses with a strong standard of living… via small government. However, most libertarians have no idea how much consumer protections have done for them. Hell, if not for government regulations than most people wouldn’t even know who owns a company, or what that company is doing. Hell, if it wasn’t required by law to tell the consumer where a product was made, what it is made of, or how it was made….than the average consumer wouldn’t even know what he was buying (even if he wanted to be patriotic and buy made in america). How would you even fight back against corporations without laws and a justice system that define what a corporation can do or not do?

I don’t mind having a social safety net even if it adds to my taxes, this means that I can essentially do whatever the fuck I want (quit a job to start a business, move, etc.) and even if shit hits the fan I’ll survive and be fine. Probably would involve a drastic cut in lifestyle qualify but nothing that cannot be recovered from.