Nothing is really new

1 post / 0 new

Nothing is really new

Creativity is just recombination of known patterns. The universe is a reference of infinite variety, it has all the computations that you might need already computed for you, with the right perspective and index of concepts that is... That's what you realize when you study cosmology simulation technology and see their results match up with reality. Just try to think of a genuinely new thing that does not represent a recombination of known patterns. You can't do it. Most people fail to understand what "pattern" means in this context. Color, smell, weight, gravity, etc. are all concepts which consist of patterns. You will always and inevitably recombine those concepts and patterns when being creative. No algorithm and no human being can do more than that.

The invention of the wheel was only the recombination of the known patterns "round" and "rolling" ... nothing genuinely new. The patterns which lead to that invention had to be present and accessible for our ancestors in order to come up with the wheel. Once you realize the perspective of infinite change, you can see everything and it is just a matter of realizing a set of changes to get where you want to go.

I can't come up with genuinely new stuff which does not represent a recombination of already learned patterns. Creativity is the semi-randomly recombination of already known patterns with a certain (meta-)goal. I can not imagine a universe obeying different laws of natures because I have no a priory knowledge about that system .... I can just imagine weird stuff based on patterns that I already learned but I can not just imagine genuinely different universe. So there is the limit of creativity which humans as well as software will have to accept? I can write a 10 liner which will recombine already known patterns in new ways. If you add a (meta-)goal and some heuristics in terms of the process of recombination you get creativity ...