Saint Jovan (John) Bigorski Monastery (11th century)

Submitted 6 years 10 months ago by vlado.mitev.

Saint Jovan (John) Bigorski Monastery (11th century)

The St. Jovan Bigorski Monastery is located by the road between the cities of Gostivar and Debar in the canyon of the River Radika, surrounded by the dense forests of Mountain Bistra. The edifice is on foundations of a basilica dating back to 1021, and a testimony of it is the fresco-painting memorial book. The monastery was demolished by Ottoman Authorities in the 16th century, and only one little church was left from the entire complex. It was rebuilt in 1743, and it got its present look in the 19th century. The monastery complex is composed of a church, the charnel house, the defense tower, monk’s quarters, and the bell tower built from travertine blocks as a part of the church complex. There is a Gallery of icons opened in the monastery complex, where around seventy icons dating back to 17th, 18th and 19th century are displayed. Bigorski Monastery enchants with its beauty. Here is a fortune of frescoes, icons, and a magnificent iconostasis with beautiful engraving, and other woodcut inventory: analogy (book-stands), pews, bishop’s throne etc. Nowadays, the monastery is completely restored, besides the accidental fire in 2009 when the old quarters were burned down completely as well as two dining rooms, a library and monks quarters.