The Stone Bridge

Submitted 5 years 9 months ago by vlado.mitev.

The Stone Bridge over the river Vardar was built in the first half of the 15th century.

The Bridge links the old part and the new part of the city. Sidewalk paths were built in 1905 and it was completely renovated in the last decade of the 20th century.

On the rivers left side, there is a memorial of Skopje’s inhabitants who were shot in 1944 during Fascist occupation.

There were 13 domes on the original bridge, having 215 meters in length and 6 meters in width.

New interventions were started in 1992 in order to return the original appearance of the Stone Bridge, therefore the original width on the bridge is restored.