TETOVO Fortress

Submitted 6 years 10 months ago by vlado.mitev.

TETOVO Fortress

TETOVO Fortress is a citadel dating back to recent period, it was built in 1820. It is located nearby Tetovo in the foothills of Shar Mountain.
It is located at 800 meters altitude and it is about 300 meters above the city.
The construction was initiated by Redzep Pasha and continued by his Abdurahman Pasha.
This fortress was constructed by using travertine and hewed stone blocks. Now, the archaeological complex encompasses wall, in the internal part there are five seraglios, a bath, storages, big kitchens, a dining room and a well.
One of older objects here is the church St. Athanaij dates back to the 14th century.
There were towers on the walls of the fortress, and there are remains of underground prison and three tunnels, which led to Tetovo, the village Lard and the River Pena.